Moramanga-where there are cheap mangoes.
Moramanga is the capital of one of the eighteen districts of the province of Toamasina (Tamatave), one of the largest (7,424 km²), but moderately populated, being very forested. The village is located in a basin whose constant humidity, due to the proximity of the Mangoro River, the development of a Flora and fauna has favored. This is very impoverished by deforestation, but it still has a high degree of endemism.
The industrial cultivation of pine and eucalyptus, which is gradually developing at the expense of the rainforest, is one of Moramanga's main sources of income.
Transit point for those who Andasibe, Mitsinjo, Mantadia or Ankanin'ny Nofy want to visit
The city of Moramanga
Moramanga is above all a crossroads, a place of passage at the junction of two roads, one connecting the northern regions with the south of Toamasina province and the other the east coast with the capital.
The main hotels and restaurants are located on the RN2, while along the road from the station to the market, cookshops serve local specialties accompanied by the best rice from Alaotra: frogs' legs in fritters (radaka) and crayfish (orana) fried in butter and garlic.
Depending on the season, the market offers fruits from the interior (strawberries, apples, peaches) and those from the coast (bananas, mangoes, lychees), as well as basket fruits.
Moramanga and the 1947 Uprising
Along with several towns on the east coast (Manankara, Farafangana, Vatomandry, and Ambila), Moramanga was one of the main centers of the 1947 insurgency, as commemorated by the mausoleum erected at the western entrance to the town.
On the night of Saturday 29 to Sunday 30 March 1947, two thousand rebels entered the Tristani camp and slit the throats of gendarmes and soldiers to seize their weapons before attacking the settlers and agents of the administration.
In retaliation, colonial troops ransacked the town and machine-gunned the insurgents in cattle cars. The elected representatives of the district also had an imposing monument erected in the workers' quarter near the train station, at the foot of which young people gather in the evenings to play the guitar.
National Gendarmerie Museum
The camp Tristani today houses a barracks and a school for the gendarmerie, whose small museum of the Pride of the city is.
It tells the story of the "indigenous guard" that became zandarimeriam-pirenena through their uniforms, armament and investigative equipment.
Various exhibits - amulets, frightening masks, and locally made firearms - allow visitors to appreciate the ingenuity of Zebu thieves.
Annual statistics on the number of stolen cattle and the results of operations carried out by the gendarmerie are also displayed. Old vehicles parked in front of the building illustrate the history of Malagasy transport.
This completely renovated Micheline from the colonial era ran twice a week on the Antananarivo-Toamasina (Tamatave) line, stopping whenever the landscapes merited it to allow groups of about twenty tourists to travel with the flavors of times gone by. Now this Micheline connects Fianarantsoa with Sahambavy.
Every summer an orchid competition is held in Moramanga.
Magnificent rare specimens (estimated at several million ariary for some) compete with more common species.